Friday, August 31, 2012

Yim Yam Thai Laos

Yim Yam Thai Laos
415 Mt Alexander Rd 
Ascot Vale 3032


There are three Yim Yam restaurants - the original in Yarraville, another in Collingwood and the one I recently visited in Ascot Vale.  After being in Moonee Ponds for a number of years the restaurant moved to larger premises in neighbouring Ascot Vale in May.  

I had ordered their takeaway before and been impressed with the food so was looking forward to dining in and I was not disappointed. The food was delicious and the staff attentive and friendly.  I was disappointed though to find out that they are BYO only.  I didn't realise this and would have liked to enjoy a nice crisp glass of white wine with my meal!  They do have a number of soft drinks on offer - but my lemon lime and bitters was not a good substitute :(


Seared Chicken Satay Sticks - $7.90

We started with Chicken Satay sticks.  These were a good version of this staple.  Nice sauce.


Tom Yum Spicy Prawn Stirfry - $18.90
The Tom Yum spicy prawn stir fry was the highlight of the night.  I love Tom Yum soup and this stir fry was full of those beautiful aromatic flavours - lemongrass, coriander, kaffir lime leaves, chilli - absolutely delicious.  Spicy but not too hot and the prawns and vegetables were beautifully fresh.


Massaman Lamb Curry - $14.50

The classic Massaman Lamb curry was very tasty.  The lamb was tender and it had a nice amount of potato and crushed peanuts.  The accompanying coconut rice was lovely.



Coconut Rice - $5.50


Banana Dumpling    $5.50


There were quite a few interesting options on the dessert menu. I tried the Banana Dumpling which was described as sticky rice and banana rolled into a dumpling, wrapped in banana leaves and steamed.  It was served with a scoop of coconut ice cream. This was nice but I found the banana flavour to be quite strong and almost a little artificial and I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. 


Coconut Ice Cream    $5.00

The coconut ice cream was lovely with distinct pieces of fresh coconut.

Will definitely return with a nice bottle of wine next time!



Yim Yam Thai Laos on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. That food looks delicious! Tasty and very fresh. Yum...
    Prices are reasonable too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, good prices and delicious - a great combination :)

      Delete

Thanks for visiting Piecey Num Nums :)